We know our family and friends mean well but really!?! If we needed your help and guidance, we would ask. Singlehood is not a sad place if you don’t wallow waiting your soulmate. I live a wonderful fulfilling life as a single person. God’s providence has not lessened or changed because it’s just me.
I asked some of my peers the words/phrases they tire of hearing:
- Oh, I’m sorry.
- *Asks my age*… You should be married.
- You know that’s usually when God brings the right buy along
- It will happen when you least expect it
- Why aren’t you married?
- You’ve got plenty of time
- That’s a shame. You’re such a lovely girl
- You’re not getting any younger. If you wait too long you won’t be able to have kids.
- You’ll find the right one and just know
- God has His plan for you, just wait it out
- If you don’t settle, you’ll never have kids
- Your standards are too high.
- A degree is nice but it can’t love you back.
Your delivery of constant criticism of my relationship status is discouraging and flat out annoying (sorry not sorry). Family and Friends, like I said we know you mean well. If we wanted someone, we would say something. Instead of pitying and criticizing your single peeps, why not ask us about:
- What are you up these days?
- What are your goals?
- What is new in your life?
Single people have lives. We are interesting too. We just want you to love and RESPECT where we are. That is all.